Sunday 23 March 2014

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

(In hindsight, this post is probably a bit of an overreaction - but I guess it details just how I felt immediately after watching Catching Fire...)

Right. Where do I even start?

Okay, I watched Catching Fire on DVD just 20 minutes ago.
My immediate response?

That was NOT enjoyable.

In terms of mise-en-scene and cinematography etc the film was brilliant. The camera shots were a bit iffy at times in the way that they could have been smoother - my sister described some scenes as 'clunky' and, at times, you felt quite aware of the idea that it was something that was being filmed.

However, the plot, the acting and the general feel of the movie tore me apart. I used to be pretty invincible when it came to films, and the only movie to ever bring a slight tear to my eye was a few years ago when I watched Dean Spanley which contained a scene where a dog is shot. However, it now seems that I have become a bit of a weakling and I do cry a lot easier at films.
Catching Fire, though, was incredibly intense. Words to sum the film up would include: distressing, traumatic and upsetting.
It was one of those heart-wrenching films from start to finish where characters have to be wished good luck very sincerely, have to say goodbye through streams of tears and end up screaming with emotional pain. And I don't understand how anyone could sit through 146 minutes of that and feel like they've had a good time.
However, the fact that I feel so strongly about this show how good the film must be to shake its audience in such a hard-hitting way. So kudos to everyone that took part in the making of the film, from the acting all the way to the set design.

For now, though, I think I might stick to more light-hearted films like Juno.

No comments:

Post a Comment