Sunday 16 March 2014

My Top 4 Films (in no particular order)

Let's start with the brilliant Donnie Darko. I only recently watched this film, and I'm glad I didn't watch it when I was younger because it's very surreal. After watching it, I watched it several more times and if there's ever a moment when I am feeling bored, I press play again.
It's perfect in every sense and I really love the soundtrack. It took me a few watches to get an understanding of the film, and I love the fact that you can interpret every scene and every detail in whatever way you wish.
Donnie Darko opening (and perhaps my favourite) scene:




Similarly, I like the "cliche" film The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. I haven't read the book, but I don't tend to read very often. The film is beautiful, and, like Donnie Darko, has an amazing soundtrack. The characters are so rich and are so likeable - especially the humorous yet caring character of Patrick:


Now I move on to the wonderful Ferris Bueller's Day Off which I really cannot fault. I love the style and cinematography and the theme of the film is perfect. It expresses every young person's desire to be independent, to escape from education but not actually knowing where to go in life. It's fun and it has some powerful messages in. As I said in a previous post: "it's great to see a good film where young people are rebelling against the organised structure of life". 



And finally, a film that is slightly different to the others, without that older feel to it: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World. I'm not a fan of comic books or video games, but what I really love about the film is the genius script and the quirky, strong characters. I've completely lost count of how many times I've watched Scott Pilgrim and it really is one of those films where the jokes never tire. 




No comments:

Post a Comment