Monday 18 November 2013

Short Films

The Forgotten Hit

 I enjoyed watching this short film as it had a very clever, unexpected plot. The restricted narrative ensured that I had no idea what was happening, and I only knew as much as the main character which made it interesting to watch and made it fit with the film's genre conventions. I felt the director had used their resources well, making it a lot more convincing than some of the A Level short films we watched. For instance, the scenery and props used, like the hotel and the guns, gave it a much more realistic feel and I didn't feel like I was watching something someone had created for fun with their old camcorder.

Indecision

Indecision was my favourite of the three films, and I really liked the simplicity of it. It felt similar in style to the brilliant short films Picture House cinemas play before films. It was subtly humorous in the parts where the man is stuck between the two scenes, and the creaking noise when the set is tipping. The camera movements made a very interesting metaphor of 'turning it all over in his head' and 'indecision' and made me feel quite dizzy, which relates to the emotions and confusion of the man with his indecision.

Farewell Charlie Power

I actually found this short film quite shocking with the sudden, unexpected death of Charlie Power at the beginning and the part where the son digs him up, but it was done very well. I liked the fact that the music was continuously by the band Belle & Sebastian as it remained constant and there were no disruptions which shows the flow of life for that particular set of people, but the style of the music changed over the course of the film to reflect the moods and the situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment