Sunday 17 November 2013

Chalet Girl (2011)

Chalet Girl... if I had to sum the film up in one word I'd say 'predictable'. It was one of those films where you could predict every single thing that was going to happen and it was packed to the brim with cliches. I find Hollywood films are usually just one massive cliche, and I wasn't quite expecting the same from a British film, which can often have quite clever plots.
I say this, but it was still enjoyable to watch as a feel-good rom-com. I watched it with my mum, who would turn to me, disapprovingly, every five minutes and either predict a key moment of the film, or say 'I knew that was going to happen'. But I don't think that's the point of films like Chalet Girl - I think a lot of the entertainment comes from knowing that it follows such a typical plot line. With films like this, you just have to sit back, relax and appreciate how awful it is - and that's what makes it so good.

Felicity Jones plays that role of an tom-boy that falls into an unlikely situation and finds love. I think her role, and even the look about her, could easily be mistaken for Ellen Page's role in the film Juno (which, on a sidenote, I happen to think is a great film).

However, Felicity Jones played the role very well and I didn't feel like I would have preferred someone like Ellen Page - if Ellen Page had been in the film, I think it would have just been too obvious. The good thing about it being a British film is that the cast is original (apart from Bill Nighy - I think he's in just about every film I've ever seen) which gives it a fresh feel.

So, despite being incredibly predictable, I'd recommend watching Chalet Girl if you're in the mood for a light-hearted British rom-com and you don't want to think too much. I rate it 7/10 snowboards.  



No comments:

Post a Comment