Sunday 29 June 2014

Psycho

My family have had an interest in Hitchcock's films for a long time now that started when we all watched The Lady Vanishes on TV. After loving The Lady Vanishes, we went on to buy Rear Window, Strangers On A Train, North By Northwest etc and, later, a Hitchcock boxset.

For Christmas, my parents bought me a boxset of Psycho and The Birds as we have both on VHS but none of us have actually got round to watching them.
I've been putting off watching them as I feel like you need to be in the mood for Hitchcock's films, but after not being able to find the other discs from our My So-Called Life boxset, I watched Psycho.
It was very different to the image I had created from seeing the shower scene many times, but it was also a lot better than I thought it was going to be... although, it was much less scary but much more weird than I had anticipated.

I felt that Anthony Perkins, who plays the "psychotic" Norman Bates, played the part incredibly well - capturing that nice, yet uneasy feel to his character.

I found it interesting that, at the start, I wanted Marion to succeed in her running away; when she was dead, I wanted Norman to succeed in covering everything up; when Sam and her sister arrive, I wanted them to succeed in discovering Norman's secret. I wasn't rooting for one person throughout, it changed as the film progressed.

The last scene, with Norman's mother's voice, and his creepy grin at the camera was quite unsettling.



All in all, Psycho was a lot more interesting than I thought it would be, but a lot more perturbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment