Friday 28 February 2014

Double Indemnity (1944) - film response

Double Indemnity captured my interest a lot. I think it shared a lot of aspects with various Hitchcock films, which I enjoy watching. I've always been interested in Hitchcock's use of shadows and light, mainly in his black and white films, and Double Indemnity (and film noir as a genre) use both incredibly well.
As said in the documentary about Double Indemnity, Neff is a very likeable character and I found myself siding with him and wanting him to not be brought to justice. Naturally, I was slightly disappointed when Neff is caught by Keyes at the end. However, the lack of aggression Keyes displays helps to make the ending a little more satisfying as Neff still seems like a "nice" guy.
I found the character Lola, Phyllis's stepdaughter, wasn't explored very much. Maybe this was for a reason but her character seemed a little redundant to me (despite the plot line of Phyllis seeing Lola's boyfriend). The film was heavily focused around the crime and Phyllis's sexuality, so a lot of the smaller characters and smaller plot-lines become a little lost within the film (which is not necessarily a criticism).

No comments:

Post a Comment